A person may accidentally ingest maggots if they eat spoiled food that has become contaminated with fly larvae. Accidentally eating maggots is usually not a cause for concern, but it can sometimes cause health complications, like bacterial poisoning.
A maggot is that the larva of the common housefly. Maggots are around 3–12 millimetres long, haven’t any legs, and are white or cream.
An woman housefly can disable to 130 eggs at a time, and every one among these will become one larva. Flies lay their eggs in decaying organic matter, like spoiled food and animal waste, which is food for the developing larvae.
Food poisoning may be a potential risk of eating maggots.
Flies can visit multiple food sources throughout the day, and that they may carry harmful bacteria that they need picked up from human or animal waste. they will transmit these bacteria to foods that folks eat.
Larvae that develop within the contaminated food can ingest these bacteria. people that eat this contaminated food or the larvae also will get exposure to the bacteria and should become unwell.
Salmonella and Escherichia coli are samples of bacteria that flies and maggots may transmit to humans.
Salmonella is one among the foremost common causes of foodborne illness. Symptoms of Salmonella infection can include:
Nausea and vomiting
Symptoms typically begin between 12 and 72 hours after an individual ingests the bacteria, and therefore the illness usually lasts for 4 to 7 days.
People with Salmonella poisoning often recover without treatment. However, frequent vomiting and diarrhoea can cause severe dehydration and, sometimes, hospitalization. It is, therefore, important for people with Salmonella poisoning to drink many liquids, including clear broths and fruit juices, to exchange lost fluids and electrolytes.
E. coli poisoning
There are many various strains of E. coli. Although most strains are harmless, some can cause an individual to become very sick.
Symptoms of E. coli infection may include:
Diarrhoea, which can contain blood
Slight fever, usually but 101°F
These symptoms usually develop between 1 and 10 days after ingesting the bacteria and should last for 5–7 days.
An E. coli infection can home in severity from very mild to severe, and it can sometimes even be life-threatening. like Salmonella poisoning, it’s essential for people to drink many liquid to stop dehydration.
A person may consume maggots accidentally in spoiled food.
Myiasis occurs when an individual becomes infested with fly larvae. The larvae survive or inside the person and survive by feeding off their tissues.
Intestinal myiasis may be a sort of myiasis which will occur when an individual ingests larvae that survive inside the alimentary canal . Some people with intestinal myiasis don’t experience any symptoms and should only realize that they need an infestation after noticing larvae in their stools.
However, symptoms of intestinal myiasis can include:
Nausea and vomiting
Itching within the anus
Bleeding from the rectum
Myiasis isn’t common within the us and mainly tends to occur in tropical and subtropical countries, including a number of those in Africa and South America. However, people can get myiasis from traveling to those countries